Detoxification & Purification (part 1 or 2)
I’m often asked about detoxification. When should I do it? How do I do it? Should I move the TV into the restroom for a few days? I’ll go ahead and answer the third first – keep all appliances out of the restroom. Ok, moving on… Detoxification is much different when compared to Purification. Although the two words are used interchangeably (spell check said it was right), don’t do this. Detoxification is preparation for purification. Here’s an analogy: You want shiny tires on your car, you have your soap, brush, water and armor all. What do you do first? You clean the tire, then you shine the tire. So, Detoxification and purification really makes a two-part process.
When should I do it (detoxification)?
It really depends on how you feel and how your body works. However, detoxification has been shown to be helpful with:
- Chronic Conditions (Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, arthritis, unexplained aches, recurrent infections
- Cognitive issues (memory/forgetfullness)
- Food sensitivities & allergies (bloating/gas/constipation/IBS/diarrhea) Note: food sensitivities are problems with foods that you may have that do not show up on a typical allergy test.
- Endocrine Issues: (hormone issues: Female/male, adrenal (Amazingly common in the stressed), Thyroid, Pancreas, etc…
How do I do it? (Detoxification)
Gut reconditioning. Don’t go to Wal-Mart or GNC and get some detoxification package that will guarantee results in 5 days. Not happening. It takes at least 30 days to complete, anything less just makes you sit on the toilet. I don’t enjoy sitting there: it’s boring. Might as well avoid what you can avoid. So, back to it. You can follow one of below.
- The Melvin Page diet (boring boring boring)
- The Garden of Eden Diet – No white foods, no packaged foods containing hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, Just imagine what would be available in the Garden of Eden and eat away.
- The modified Detox diet (done under doctor supervision)
The modified Detox diet
Ok, this is no joke. Really works. You will drop weight fast, you will detoxify your body and you will hate me (just a little bit). Remember, this is DOCTOR supervised:
- Eat twice as much vegetables as fruit, 50% raw or over VERY low heat/steam
- Go organic
- No hydrogenated oils, nothing in a box, can, container, plastic wrap, from gas station, etc…
- Fats are IMPORTANT!!! Fish oil, olive, coconut (unless blood type A), grape seed or almond. No others, especially veggie oil, canola, peanut oil
- Sweet potatoes are beneficial
- Beets are important – at every other day because the make the liver happy.
- No Corn, bananas, white potatoes, corn syrup (nothing high-glycemic – search the web and you’ll find a huge list)
- Drink lots of water!! At least 1/2 of your body weight in ounces, drink mostly in between meals. NO DISTILLED
- Eat frequently, 5/6 times per day.
- NO alcohol, tobacco, stimulants (find more here). If you need your coffee get some dandelion coffee or green tea.
- Protein comes from Ocean fish – Salmon, Cod, etc… Organic Chicken/turkey is permissible. No lake fish, nothing fried.
- Doctor’s supervision on all of this. I’ll do it, blame me (or the front desk staff, rather) if you choose to take on this endeavor.
- Arthritis patients should avoid: Nightshades (tomatoes, potatotes, all peppers, eggplant and citrus.
- Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia patients MUST avoid citrus fruits. Get the acid out, just don’t do it.
Part 2: Purification. Shining the tires, dropping the weight, learning what your body feels like when it works.
The modified detox is courtesy of the International foundation for Nutrition and Health. Most of this post if things I’ve learned from them INFH.org